If you’re just starting your journey with mural painting, you may be feeling overwhelmed. After all, this type of art is typically done on a large scale and on unique surfaces like brick or concrete. Of course, you can also spruce up your interior design and paint a wall mural in your living spaces.
Along with understanding different types of mural techniques, it’s also important to have the right art supplies and paint on hand. Read on for some of our favorite beginner mural painting tips and tricks that can help you prepare for painting your mural.
Best Beginner Wall Mural Painting Tips
These beginner mural painting tips and techniques can help you conquer your first large-scale project. These are general tips that may differ depending on if you’re painting a mural indoors or outdoors but are a good place to start for any wall painting.
1. Collect Your Materials
First thing first, you’ll want to ensure you have all your materials on hand for your mural painting. Painting such a large area comes with unique challenges, namely needing more materials.
Here are some of the materials you should collect before starting your project:
- Drop cloths help to keep your workspace tidy. Avoid any paint spills or specks on your floor. Even if you’re working outdoors, these are important to have. You can also keep paper towels on hand or sponges to help clean up messes or wipe away mistakes.
- Paint tray, rollers, and brushes. Since you will be painting such large areas, you will rely heavily on brush rollers and paint trays to get an even coat.
- Painters tape will help you outline your work and create clean lines. If you’re working indoors, it can also help keep your trim clean.
- Acrylic paints are ideal for this type of project. Of all the types of paint, quality acrylic paints are best since they work on almost all surfaces like floors, and walls. They are famous for their quick drying and flexibility, which are desirable traits for creating wall art.
2. Prep Your Wall
Next, you’ll want to prep your wall for the mural to come. This can differ depending on the type of surface you’re working with, but ultimately you want to create a space that’s as clean and smooth as possible.
In some cases, like if you’re working on an interior wall, you may just need to prime the wall and you’ll be done. However, if you’re painting over an existing mural it’s best to strip as much paint as you can off the wall. Consider using a sanding block and making sure to keep a bucket of water nearby to continuously wipe away dust.
Priming is an essential step because it helps the acrylic medium stick more easily and last longer.
3. Sketch Your Design
While it may be tempting to begin free-handing your mural, you should take the time to sketch your design. Painting on a larger scale for the first time can be difficult, so sketching your design first can make sure you get the proportions you want before committing.
4. Start With Large Blocks of Color
When it comes time to put brush to wall it’s important to start with large areas of color first. Consider filling in your background with a brush roller to quickly and accurately cover large spaces.
Then, you’ll want to allow the time for the paint to dry before moving on to other colors. Keep working on the larger areas of color and leave detail work for last.
5. Seal Your Mural
Once your artwork is complete, you should consider sealing it. Invest in a good varnish (also commonly called sealant) that will be the final touch to your mural. There are various types of sealants on the market, so take the time to read the benefits of each and find one that works best for the type of paint and specific kind of surface for your mural.
There are also different types of varnish for indoor and outdoor murals. Either way, this sealant will help protect your work of art from the elements and keep it looking vibrant for longer. Make sure your mural is completely dry before applying this final step.
Find Paint For Your Mural
When you’re ready to start your mural, turn to Nova Color Paint for high-quality acrylic colors.
Our wide selection of paints are perfect for your project.Shop our paints today or check out our blog for more beginner mural painting recommendations.