Consistency: Heavy Creamy Fluid
Primary Usage: Primer
Special Properties: Sandable
Have you heard of Gesso? This smooth, highly pigmented professional-grade liquid paint is one of the most important supplies needed to prepare your canvas for the work of art to come.
More like a high-quality liquid paint than an artist-grade acrylic paint, Nova Color’s Gesso is a primer traditionally used by artists to treat the surface of their canvas prior to painting. It dries hard, making the surface (either traditional like canvas or even mixed media forms) stiffer. Not only does this make it easier for the artist to apply the paint, but it also makes the surface slightly textured and ready to accept professional-grade acrylic paint rather than soak it in.
Gesso is a must-have for any artist who routinely uses canvas and wants to get the most out of their professional acrylic paint. However, even casual crafters should have artist-grade Gesso on hand. With Gesso, the possibilities for what you can paint on are endless. For instance, if you wanted to paint on a vinyl record or add hand-painted elements to a mirror, all you need to do is add some Gesso to where you’re going to paint and begin going to work with professional-grade acrylic paint once dry.
While there’s no right or wrong way to apply Gesso, we suggest evaluating if you need to dilute it. Our gesso is already fluid. Additionally, you can sand the Gesso between each completely dry layer.
Purchase the best acrylic paint and liquid applications from Nova Color today and see for yourself the endless painting possibilities!
What the product does:
- Gesso is used as a primer to create a smooth painting surface
- Provides ideal conditions for acrylic paint application & absorption
- Stiffens your painting surface & is non-yellowing
How to use:
- Clean your surface and make sure it is free of any loose paint, dirt, or oily residue
- Surfaces painted with oil or solvent-based paints must be sanded before gesso application
- Apply directly to your clean & oil free surface & enjoy your primed surface
- Drying time may differ depending on weather conditions
- Mix with #207 Nova Gel or #206 Gloss Medium & Varnish to increase the flexibility or gloss of the Gesso
- You can mix your Nova Color paints to create tints (pastels)
- You can thin your gesso using water (over-thinning with water may result in poor adhesion)
- Do not allow it to dry on brushes or tools
- Clean your brushes or tools with soap & water after use
- Dries permanent & is water resistant