Consistency: Heavy Creamy Fluid
Primary Usage: Black Primer
Special Properties: Sandable
An opaque black heavy creamy fluid that is applied to a surface to create smoothness and make it ready to accept paint. Every artist needs Black Gesso paint in their creative toolkit. A coat of Gesso is used as a primer to create the ideal conditions for acrylic paint application and absorption.
Easily sand down the layers of Gesso after letting it dry completely to create a perfectly smooth, stiff surface. Or, use the creamy Black Gesso to create a textured surface before you begin painting.
Black Gesso is a must-have for any artist who routinely uses canvas and wants to get the most out of their professional acrylic paint. However, even casual crafters should have artist-grade Gesso alongside their other art materials.
Black Gesso is extremely versatile for all your artistic endeavors. Get creative by transforming vinyl records into works of art, or add hand-painted elements to a mirror. Simply add the Black Gesso to where you want to paint and let your creativity flow with professional-grade acrylic paint once it dries.
While there’s no right or wrong way to apply Gesso, we suggest evaluating if you need to dilute it. Our Black Gesso is already a fluid consistency but that can be easily changed with the addition of other mediums.
Purchase Black Gesso from Nova Color today and see for yourself the endless painting possibilities!
What Black Gesso does:
- Black Gesso is used as a primer to create a smooth painting surface
- Provides ideal conditions for acrylic paint application & absorption
- Stiffens your painting surface
How to use Black Gesso paint:
- Clean your surface and make sure it is free of any loose paint, dirt, or oily residue
- Surfaces painted with oil or solvent-based paints must be sanded before Black Gesso application
- Apply directly to your clean & oil free surface & enjoy your primed surface
- Drying time may differ depending on weather conditions
- Mix with #207 Nova Gel or #206 Gloss Medium & Varnish to increase the flexibility or gloss of the Black Gesso
- You can mix your Nova Color paints to create shades
- You can thin your Black Gesso using water (over-thinning with water may result in poor adhesion)
- Do not allow it to dry on brushes or tools
- Clean your brushes or tools with soap & water after use
- Dries permanent & is water resistant
As a backdrop, Black Gesso can make your acrylic colors stand out. However, you can also utilize White Gesso if you want to create a smooth white surface.